Friday, December 3, 2010

Poco Muerte

(which I hope means 'Little Death' in Spanish!! )

Feliz Muertos / Happy Day of the Dead everyone!! Now for those not familiar with same, here comes the Wikipedia update part:

Day of the Dead (Spanish: Día de los Muertos) is a holiday celebrated by many in Mexico and by some Mexican Americans living in the United States and Canada. The holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died. The celebration occurs on November 2 in connection with the Catholic holidays of All Saints' Day (November 1) and All Souls' Day (November 2). Traditions connected with the holiday include building private altars honoring the deceased using sugar skulls, marigolds, and the favorite foods and beverages of the departed and visiting graves with these as gifts. The Day of the Dead is a time of celebration when eating and partying are common. Due to occurring shortly after Halloween, the Day of the Dead is sometimes thought to be a similar holiday, although the two are celebrated differently.

All I know is it makes a LOT more sense to me than what they do in Catholic parts of Europe. My own wish is that when I pass, please have a GREAT party, laugh a lot, then chuck my dead butt (hopefully mulched and under a great tree) in the ground and fuggit about it!! But the yearly visits and little souvenirs? No thanks.

In this collection - yes I wanted a collection for some reason - you have 4 pictures by moi, and also some coloration help from my kids.

Font is a terrific one I've used before called Skullphabet!!


The kids did one each although they got bored with it REAL quick (too many details and nooks and crannies).

But I do love how this holiday is always so colorfully decorated. I just think it's the right attitude, namely celebrating the departed and remembering the good things about them!!


This is what I call my 'Jean Tuttle' version. Jean is literally one of my first interviewees, a fantastic graphic designer and simply one of the most truly nice people on the planet. I learned so much talking to her.

She does a LOT better than me with things like this, so absolutely check out her website. She added some 'old' pieces she did recently (read: prior to Photoshop and all that crap, which I still don't have). Oh, now that I think about it, I also got the 'tiled' inspiration from her. Silly, how could I ever forget that.

Jean Tuttle people: look her up, learn her stuff, join us!!
See

or even

http://www.xymara.com/index/designerscorner/Interviews/11672/Interview-Jean-Tuttle.htm

for more!!

No comments:

Post a Comment