Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Little Monty Python (Holy Grail)


This just may be the first of many Monty Python ‘tributes’, but I was just in the mood to illustrate one of my favorite scenes from my favorite movie of all time!! The brave King Arthur triumphs over the Black Knight, and is now ready to continue his quest with his faithful man-servant Patsy in tow...

The background I created here is supposed to be a kind of rendering of the actual scene, done in soft pastels. It was tough because if you know the movie, it’s just sort of a series of grayish tones.

The font is 'Cast Iron' which matches quite closely what the original series used.



Little Arthur

Ah, poor Arthur, doomed to have the downfall of England on his shoulders and a 20-year sentence for manslaughter to serve out. This is just one of the classic quotes from 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail'.

I think though I made Graham Chapman's face sadder than it should be, which even my son pointed out right away. It could be because I'm still bummed that he passed away.

Font is none other than 'King Arthur'. I love looking for fonts!!



Little Black Knight

He is invincible! Well, it's only a flesh wound! Well... we'll call it a draw. What a riot.

However, using the ‘mini-man template’ and then drawing armor and especially helmets on this pattern led to some odd dimensions. Well, at least I got to color in lots of gory blood!!

Sorry can't remember the font but it wasn't 'Black Knight' (some Gothic type, the name will come back to me). It was something like ‘Smash Your Brains In’ or similar. Dang and I wanted to use it again.



Little Patsy

It is hard to do a character that doesn't stay the same person all the time in the film.

He’s a bit mucky looking because he's supposed to be a bit more covered in, you know. It’s just because obviously King Arthur is immune to such imperfections. I LOVE HIS LITTLE COCONUTS (wow, that's something I haven't said in like, 2 or 3 days)!!

Font is a bizarre one called Coconut Split (again coconuts = hilarious!!). It looked sloppier in the previews than it came out, I was going for that 'serf' like writing style. You know, sign with your ‘X’ on the dotted line. Bloody peasant...

No comments:

Post a Comment