Monday, September 6, 2010

How It All Got Started!

Featuring Little Obama, Little Wolverine, Little Harry, Little Death and Little Fidel!!
Little Obama

Again, this goes back to the ‘set’ that started it all. I was just fascinated with the complete genius of the ‘Hello Kitty’ campaign. Seriously, I would estimate that anywhere from 25 to 33% of my daughter’s possessions, clothes etc. include this and when I would pick her up at school, it was unbelievable how many kids AND moms had that logo somewhere on their person.

As such, I tried to ‘standardize’ a similar form, making a blanko template in PowerPoint vectors for practice. For more about the whole ‘phenomena’, please see my ‘other’ blog at
http://ziggynixon.blogspot.com/2009/05/fresh-ziggy-good-will-painting.html .



Little Obama - Hey hey, I get published in New York Times!!

Funny enough, at this time the NYT was running a thing about how Obama had been inspiring artists everywhere (it was also back during the whole brouhaha about the guy and his ‘Hope’ poster).

On a whim I decided to send this in and it wound up getting published on-line!! What a hoot!!



Little Wolverine

OK, I admit it: I'm a total comics geek and at the time, was about to wet myself in excitement over the pending ‘XMen Origins’ movie.

Trust me, there’s going to be a lot more super hero stuff coming. A lot more!!





Little Harry


I did this one for my son, who is a total HP fan.

I’ve never been a fan of either the books or the movies, but he and my mom will discuss the movies for hours. He’s hungrily reading the first of the books now. He gets quite worked up when he finds discrepancies!


Little Death

When I started, this first group was based on a selection of 'most recognizable faces', including Death (who is one of Terry Pratchett's best characters, I would add!). It’s a great exercise in simplicity, which I am trying my hardest TO LEARN!


Little Fidel

Sorry kids but Fidel is very recognizable, whether you like him or not (and outside the US appears in a LOT of ad campaigns). At least it’s not Che Guevero (sp?) but anyway he looks like something out of Planet of the Apes (ooh, another inspiration!).


Collection in blog header

This is the final blog header (I change my blog headers on a fairly regular basis, just because it gives me a regular 'project' to work on). Unfortunately, the backgrounds you see in the 'hearts' behind the characters (eg American Flag for BO, Cuban for FC, etc.) didn't work out so well. Better luck next time.








No comments:

Post a Comment