Friday, September 24, 2010

DJ Little Ziggy

OK, I have to be totally honest with you: this did not start off as a DJ. I was actually going to finish the 3rd of my pirate series, even though 'Int'l Talk Like a Pirate Day' was by this time long over and I could only just barely feel the effects of the traditional rum.

Well, despite a pretty good sketch of ‘third pirate’ (sounds like the credits for some poor schlub still waiting on his big breakthrough in Hollywood), my first ink-over came out – hm, how to put this delicately – let's just say it would have embarrassed Freddie Mercury and perhaps even not made it into Elton John’s closet. Or out, either way.

The 2nd attempt came out very 'pimpy' so that wasn't right either. So I've got a pirate all drawn up and on file that needs some work again one day. Either that or I just need to draw in a decent manicure because he looks simply FAB-oohlala-lous!!

I then started this, just sort of free sketching. The 'afro' surprisingly enough came from a photo shoot of a CAUCASIAN model that caught a lot of flap for her 'black face' photo spread. The rest just sort of happened.

I would note that I’ve never seen a modern DJ at work, so his 'station' was seriously winged. In this case someone wrote in to tell me I had the bass and other bits backwards as no self-respecting DJ would have set his, uh, settings that way. I don’t know how accurate that is, but I do think it looks like a pretty good cash register.

Font is flower bold. It's amazing what you can find when you put in key words in the font section (in this case 'groovy').

No comments:

Post a Comment